How to Help a Spouse Quit Smoking
Convincing a loved one to quit smoking is never an easy task. First of all they need to have the will to stop. If deep down there heart really isn’t into it, there’s not going to be a lot you can do to change their mind. However, a good place to start is to educate them on all the negative effects of smoking, such as lung cancer, premature ageing and cardiovascular disease. It’s a good idea to remind them how much you love them and how unbearable life would be without them. After they finally make the decision to quit, you’re job isn’t over. The following are a few things you can do to help your spouse:
Positive reinforcement from friends or family is so important for anyone who tying to quit any bad habit. Perhaps your spouse has a very close relative that he or she looks up to. Getting that person to say a few encouraging words can make all the difference in the world.
There’s always a possibility that your loved one might fall off the wagon once or twice. If this happens it’s important to stay positive. Don’t condemn them. While it is important to communicate your disappointment, it should always be followed up by some encouraging words that reinstate how much you believe that they can do it.
Let’s do it together
Even if you don’t smoke, perhaps you also have a bad habit. By quitting your respective bad habits at the same time, not only will you both come out stronger in the end, but you will also help the other person achieve their goals. It’s never easy to go it alone. Perhaps the person is worried that they will gain weight after they quit. It’s also a good idea to diet and exercise together. This way you’ll both come out healthier in the end.
Help research medical options
Before they start taking any medications, it’s important to consult a doctor. However you can help your spouse by doing research in the available treatment options. Popular treatments include: Nicorette, nicotine gum and the patch. Any addiction is a horrible thing that can lead to depression. By staying positive and lending you’re loving support, you’ll be able to help your spouse through this difficult time.
RECOMMENDED RESOURCES to Quit Smoking
- Is Cigarrest the Best Smoking Cessation Product Available? A Review - If you have seen an infomercial for Cigarrest and are considering giving it a try to help you quit smoking, please read this informative article first. There’s important information you need to know. Share and Enjoy:
- My New Year’s Resolution: Can I Quit Smoking For Good? - New Year, old habits. Many people pick the 1st of the year to try to go out with the old and in with the new. While there is nothing wrong with choosing New Year’s to kick the habit, there are things you need to know in order to succeed. Share and Enjoy:
- Natural Stop Smoking Programs - Most stop smoking treatments, like nicotine gum or patches actually contain nicotine or drugs. Many times people are looking for a more natural solution to help them quit; the good news is that there is hope. Find out more today Share and Enjoy:
- Stop Smoking Self Hypnosis Scripts - One of the methods to stop smoking that exists is using hypnosis. While many people think of hypnosis as an expensive treatment with a specialist, some people can use self hypnosis scripts to stop smoking. It works by making the bran think that cigarettes aren’t needed or wanted. Share and Enjoy:
- Coping Skills to Quit Smoking - Before you try to quit smoking, it’s important to learn the proper copping skills. This could be the difference between success and failure. Share and Enjoy:
- What is the Great American Smoke Out and How Can It Help You Quit Smoking? - The Great American Smoke Out happens every November and for many people this is the day tey finally decide to put down their cigarettes. Share and Enjoy:
- Quit Smoking With The Help Of Online Support Groups - Online support groups can be a valuable resource when you are trying to quit smoking. Getting past the urges can be difficult and having someone to talk to at those times can help you be successful. Share and Enjoy:
- Herbs that Help You Quit Smoking - Are you a smoker who’s looking for a natural way to quit? A herbal remedy could be just the solution to help you stop for good. Find out more today. Share and Enjoy:
- How to Stop Smoking With Hypnotherapy - In recent years Hypnosis has become a popular all natural way to fight all addictions – including smoking. Learn how to quit smoking without using drugs of any kind. Share and Enjoy:
- Acupuncture to Quit Smoking - Acupuncture is a natural option for a smoking cessation treatment. While also used for health issues, it has been shown to help people stop smoking. Share and Enjoy: